I've heard about this since i was a child myself. I found this on an old post.
Is there really a lost cache of silver hidden somewhere in the hills back there, as I remember hearing in my youth, or is that just a tall tale? -- D.S., Virginia Beach
No doubt you're making reference to John Swift's lost treasure, the story of which has been passed down for two centuries in these parts.
Whether the story is true is anyone's guess. All I can say with any authority is that I couldn't find a single reference to anyone ever having found it.
That very fact may be what's kept treasure hunters on the trail to this day.
Swift was a seafarer whose home port was Alexandria at around 1757, according to one account. He met and befriended a man named George Mundy, who had been held captive by the Shawnee and the Cherokee.
Mundy told Swift of accompanying his captors to mines with vast deposits of silver ore.
In 1761, Swift, Mundy and a small party set out into the wilderness, found three silver mines and pulled ore from them for the next eight years.
The silver was so abundant, Swift called it "the richest thing I ever saw."
But Swift supposedly left much of his fortune behind. He is said to have buried it and left the mountains empty-handed, driven out by Indians, rival traders and dissension within his mining party.
"On September 1, 1769, we left between 22 and 30 thousand dollars in English crowns on a large creek running near a south course," Swift is said to have written in his journal, of which many versions have circulated. "Close by we marked our names: Swift, Jefferson, Mundy and other names on a large beech tree."
Swift went back to England but reportedly returned years later, elderly and nearly blind, to try to rediscover his mines and the fortune he'd left behind. He found nothing and is said to have died penniless.
If the story is genuine, perhaps one reason why no one has found the cache or the mines is that they've been searched for across a very large geographic area.
The treasure is said to be in the Breaks Interstate Park area in Southwest Virginia, but place names in Eastern Kentucky -- Silvermine Branch, Silvermine Arch and Swift Camp Creek in Wolfe County -- hint that it could be there.
The hunt even stretches into Tennessee, where folks gather in Jellico the third week of September every year with metal detectors in tow. Jellico is just over the Kentucky line due north of Knoxville.
It would seem to me that if the story were true, someone would have found the treasure by now, or at least one of the mines. These hills are full of tall tales; this very well may be one of them.
If you're still interested in the legend, you might consult the 1995 book "Swift's Silver Mines and Related Appalachian Treasures" by Michael S. Steely. It's published by the Overmountain Press in Johnson City.
The book's for sale online at Barnes and Noble and at Amazon.
Steely was a skeptic until, while searching for the mines himself, he found a metal arrowhead. He had it tested, and it turned out to be 85 percent silver.
This was posted just this past August on another board. I found this somewhat interesting.
I have a stone map about 10" x 15" ,about 2" thick,with many markings on it.It has the year 1760 - 1769 on it,also a S:B(The B faces the other way though):M
It has a left hand,looks like a glove and a nswe directional on it.
It was given to me by an old timer in jackson county.He was a close friend of my family down there.He hunted for the treasure his whole life but never found it.I used to love listening to his stories.He passed away 9 years ago.I've had the stone for about 12 years now.The bottom of it seems to have ancient writing on it.
I've been trying to research it so it can be deciphered.
The mines are real ....theres too much proof
John Swift






Bookmarks